If you are looking for a self drive safari in Namibia, we have the expertise and service to cater for your needs. Opting for self drive Namibia is a popular choice, especially for those wanting to venture off the beaten track in vehicles capable of doing the job. We have a variety of vehicles capable of handling harsh conditions backed up with all the equipment necessary.
Namibia is a great place for anyone, especially beginners, wanting to explore Africa for the first time. Road signs are reliable, maps are accurate and accommodation along with food and water are fairly easy to find throughout the country. There is a good selection of paved and gravel roads which make most of the country accessible.
Some great reasons to choose self drive Namibia:
- Landscape- Diverse and captivating, its undulating scenery makes it a perfect choice.
- Highlights- Sossuslvlei is home to the biggest sand dunes in the world. We also find Fish River Canyon which is the largest canyon in Africa and the second largest in the world.
- Safety- There is very little crime in Namibia and the back-up and support on your trip will make sure you get home safe.
- Usability- Most of Namibia is accessible year round, driving distances are very reasonable and virtually anyone who can drive will be able to tackle the terrain.
- Wildlife- A vast amount of National Parks and conservation areas make Namibia a dream destination for the enthusiast.
A self drive safari should be just that, allowing you the freedom to explore and enjoy at your own will. However, it is often a good idea to have a general idea of the route you want to be taking, so you can plan accommodation, food, water requirements and fuel.
We suggest Windhoek as a great base and starting point to your journey, however this is not a necessity. From here there are a number of great places to make your way towards depending on your availability of time. As Windhoek is our starting point, let’s take a look at some major destinations as well as some rough time estimates to get there:
- Swakopmund- 360kms (about 4,5 hours)
- Sossuslvlei- 405kms (about 5 hours)
- Fish River Canyon- 750 km’s (about 9 hours)
- Etosha National Park- 420 km’s (about 5.45 hours)
- South African border (to Cape Town)- 795 km’s (about 10 hours)
- Botswana border (to Maun)- 320 km’s (about 4 hours)
Contact us to find out more about how we can make your self drive safari in Namibia, the best adventure yet.